It still seems like yesterday when I announced the initial alpha of War Worlds is available on the Play Store. But it's actually been over one and a half years! In fact, it's been over three years since I started the project back in 2011! But, sadly, I feel I can no longer give the project the time and attention it requires and we must close our doors.
It's been an awesome time, and I've certainly learned a lot. Some highlights for me:
- My initial post about the game on the r/IndieGaming subreddit is where I got around 100 initial players, the game has since been downloaded from the Play Store over 45,000 times!
- At it's peak, War Worlds had over 2,000 active users!
- Some of my posts about the game reached the Hacker News front page, not once, not twice, not event thrice, but four times!
- I came to the attention of some Facebook employee for that last post about advertising, and they helped me tweak my campaign a bit. In fact, my post about App Engine also came to the attention of some people within Google as well. All in all, it seems like getting on to the front page of Hacker News is a pretty big deal.
- Perhaps a low-light, rather than a high-light, but getting hacked last month was actually kind of an honour. Perhaps that's when you know you've really gone mainstream...
Now, I still have about a week and a bit left of time before the billing cycle for my server resets, so I plan to keep the game running until 30th August, at which point, it will be shut down.
If you're interested, I've also made the complete source code for the game (both client and server) available on GitHub: https://github.com/codeka/wwmmo.
What's next for me? Well, I'm not really sure. I've got plenty of ideas for new games, but I think I'm going to take things easy for a month or two and take some time out with my family.
Thanks a lot to everyone who has made this game so special, it will always have a special place in my heart!