I disagree with just having hp, atk, and shield. It would be easier to mass fighters than battleships assuming the minerals cost differences if calculated correctly.
Speed should be taken out of equation for battles and only used for travel, but keep the combat range. You'll see when I explain below.
>> order of attack <<
(1) battleship (lots of guns = longest range)(2) cruiser(3) fighters/corsairs
>> order of kill <<
(1) fighters/corsairs(2) cruisers(3) battleships(4) carriers only when all other units have been destroyed
This calculation will be done from both the attacker and defenders pov. Until one side prevails.
- Fighters cheap, but weak. Can be massed in hours.
Stats: 10 atk / 5 def / 0 Shields / 1 range Requirements: shipyard lvl 1
- corsair's as a defense ship should have higher shields, but lower attack. Costs as 3x as much as a fighter because you know shields. But can be massed in matter of hours just like fighters. **can travel with fleet**
Stats: 5 atk / 10 def / 20 shields / 1 range Requirements: shipyard lvl 2, research lab lvl 1
It would take 3 fighters to destroy 1 corsair. Since corsair lack offense capabilities it would take 2 corsair's to destroy 1 fighter.
- Frigates ... no let's just not add them... too many numbers to crunch. Trying to make it simple...
- cruiser's will form the back bone of a fleet. Due to medium size it can hold more guns and defense capabilities. Its role is to punch though the enemy shields. Takes a several hours to produce 1 (that's right, start colonizing and build them shipyards if u want to mass produce).
Stats: 4000 atk / 1000 def / 4000 shields / 2 range Requirements: shipyard lvl 3, research lab lvl 2
a single cruiser can take out 1000 fighters. But if corsair's are present then the cruiser must break through them first before it can tough. For example vs. 500 corsair's ( equalling 5000 def and 15000 shields) a single cruiser would shoot first because of range and would be able to destroy 100 of them before being overran by the rest.
That would be round 1 in battle calculations until one side loses.
- Battleship will be your empires most valuable ship. Deadly, many long range guns. Due to enormous size it takes days to build just one. Because of it's range it's purpose is to soften the enemy front to allow fighters, and cruisers to move in. First to strike, last to be attacked.
Stats: 15,000 atk / 6000 def / 4000 shields / 3 range Requirements: shipyard lvl 4, research lab lvl 3
So sending a single battleship would not cause much fear as it can be over ran. So fleet management would be important. Fighters and corsair can be a deciding factor in battles.
Other ideas to improve game:
- semi active computer AI's natives (Ai races could be made for this). They can build, colonize, expand, attack just like human players, but arent as aggressive as human players. At least this would give my radar some use.... and options to attack something until a human player comes along.
- allow alliances to form peace treaties (5, 15, or 30 days to renew) with one another, so that they can support one another during war without friendly fire. Can also declare war officially.
- alliance battle reports. Allows members to see who is attacking who. No reports generated from attacking/defending natives.
- player kill count/losses tracker.
- auto manage system option. When empire becomes to big to manage selecting this option for a star system will allow the computer to decide what do. Options could be to auto build/upgade, or constantly build a specific type of ship. Player cannot select how many ships to build but instead planets will build a random number of ships depending on ship class and construction time . Player can also set destination markers to auto move ships to other star systems owned (travel cost will still apply, and you will see your funds drop (ship travel cost) and raise (taxes) from time to time. No auto attacking options avaliable.
- allow user friendly star system management by creating regions. Players can create regions in their empire from the star map. From the colony tab players can view and name regions. Instead of viewing your colony by displaying every planet; a player can select a region and the game will auto move the map to that area.